Sarah Orne Jewett House
Carriage House and Barn
The outbuildings on the property have changed since Sarah’s grandfather, Captain Jewett, was first residing at the site in the 1820’s. A property map from that time shows that there was a barn, stable, cider house, and shed in the location of the carriage house.
This 1931 photograph shows that in Sarah’s day, there was a sizeable stable to the right of the carriage house. Today, the carriage house, shed, and (not pictured), a well house remain. To the back of the shed, there is a one-hole privy, evidencing one important use for the outbuilding.