Sarah Orne Jewett House

Exterior, Rear

This photograph shows the house ell as it was in 1931. The first-floor ell was built early in the home’s history, as early as 1822, for use as the kitchen; the second floor of the ell was added by Sarah and sister Mary Jewett after 1887, for the addition of second floor staff quarters.

The staff quarters were directly over the kitchen. A set of stairs leading from the kitchen to the staff quarters provided direct access between the two spaces.